Works taking place in North Melbourne in 2017
John Holland has been appointed as the Managing Contractor for this package of works, which includes service relocation, tree and vegetation removal and demolition of existing buildings within Government-owned land in Arden.
Beon Energy Solutions has been appointed as the contractor responsible for the construction of a temporary electrical substation within the Arden Station construction site. This substation will provide power for the tunnel boring machines required to build the Metro Tunnel.
What we are doing
Temporary electrical substation deliveries
- A number of truck movements are required to deliver oversize equipment, including the control room building and transformers, to the Arden Station construction site
- Access to the site will be via Barwise Street
- Traffic management measures may be required to ensure the safety of work crews and maintain flow of traffic
- Deliveries will be scheduled to minimise impacts on the road network and Barwise Street, which may require out of hours deliveries. We will notify surrounding businesses and residents in advanceof any out of hours activities.
- There may be some temporary pedestrian diversions required.
Works to secure the Arden Station construction site compound are continuing with a 300 metre long, 2.4 metre high hoarding to be installed along the length of Laurens Street
Impacts of this are:
- There may be some temporary pedestrian diversions required
- We will need to occupy a limited amount of parking spaces along Laurens Street during different stages of hoarding installation.
Northern area: 4 December to late January 2018
Demolition works on the remaining building in the northern area of the site has been delayed and will now commence in December
We will need to occupy a limited number of parking spaces along Laurens Street at certain stages during these demolition works
These works are expected to generate high levels of noise.
Southern area: 14 November to late December 2017
Removal of concrete hardstands and other small structures.
These works will require:
- a closure of the footpath and the temporary occupation of limited parking spaces on Laurens Street near the work area
- Traffic management will be in place around the work site to manage the safety of pedestrians, vehicles and cyclists
- These works are expected to generate high levels of noise.
Ongoing until late December 2017
Works are continuing to relocate drainage and power assets away from the path of the new tunnels and station
The majority of service relocation works will be contained within the Arden Station construction site
Road network changes
Mid November – late December 2017
Ahead of major construction for the Metro Tunnel Project, changes to the road, tram and bicycle networks will occur across the city to keep Melbourne moving during construction. In North and West Melbourne, these changes will include the installation of closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras and Bluetooth technology, which will allow for real-time monitoring of traffic and improved incident response.
CCTV camera and Bluetooth technology is being installed at the following intersections:
- Spencer Street and Hawke Street
- Arden Street and Macaulay Road
These works will take one to two days to complete at each location and will occur during off-peak traffic periods. There will be:
- Short-term lane closures in place to facilitate the installations
- Traffic management around the work site to manage the safety of pedestrians, vehicles and cyclists
- Low levels of noise associated with the installations.
All works will be undertaken during normal working hours 7am – 6pm, Monday to Friday and 7am – 1pm, Saturdays except where some out of hours deliveries are required.