Major works on the Metro Tunnel are underway to support construction of a CBD underground station with direct connections to Flinders Street Station.
City Square closed to the public on 3 April 2017 and works are underway to prepare the site for construction of a new underground station.
In order to safely and efficiently build this station, we will temporarily occupy City Square for up to five years. An acoustic shed will be built over the site in 2018.
When the project is complete, City Square will be returned to the City of Melbourne as public open space, with an entrance to the new underground station.
Flinders Lane closure
Flinders Lane is closed until 6pm, Tuesday 30 May between Swanston Street and Russell Street. The closure is required to undertake installation of a fibre cable and inclinometer in the road and footpath. These works will involve trenching along the footpath and across the road on Flinders Lane to lay the cables. For more information, see our notification (PDF, 687.5 KB).
Installation of inclinometer
During the closure of Flinders Lane, an inclinometer device will be installed on the footpath near the Flinders Lane and Swanston Street intersection and four inclinometer devices will be installed within the established City Square site. These devices will be used to monitor and identify any movement in the existing underground piles at City Square for the duration of the CBD underground station's construction.
- Continuous work from 4am Tuesday 23 May until 6pm Tuesday 30 May (fibre cable and inclinometer installation on Flinders Lane)
- Fibre cable and inclinometer installation activity that will produce high noise levels will be completed between 7.30am and 10pm
All reasonable efforts will be made to complete works ahead of schedule, subject to weather and ground conditions. We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program.
What to be aware of
- Traffic management will be in place during construction to maintain the flow of traffic and ensure the safety of work crews and pedestrians.
- Vehicle access for local residents and businesses will be maintained on Flinders Lane for the duration of this work
- There may be some temporary pedestrian diversions required
- Some construction equipment will need to be delivered to site overnight to minimise impacts to pedestrians and traffic.
- There may be some noise and dust associated with these works. Mitigation strategies which comply with Metro Tunnel's Environmental Performance Requirements (EPRs) will be put in place to minimise disruption to the community
What we are doing
Removal of artwork
Removal of the Beyond the Ocean of Existence sculpture (corner of Flinders Lane and Swanston) and the Burke and Wills monument on Swanston Street took place between late April and mid-May. Most of the artworks affected by the construction of station have been placed in storage in the short term until City of Melbourne confirms a new location for them.
Trees have been removed from City Square to facilitate construction of the new underground station.
Where possible, timber from the removed trees will be re-used by City of Melbourne. Some mulching will take place on site.
We will replant two trees for every tree we remove on the project to enhance long term canopy cover.
Brunetti Café closing
Brunetti Café has closed their City Square store. A new Brunetti Café will be opening on 1 August 2017 at 250 Flinders Lane.
Timeline for works in City Square
|Mid-April – May|
Early Works within City Square behind the hoarding include:
|23 - 30 May||Closure of Flinders Lane for fibre cable and inclinometer installation|
|June – July||Reconfiguration of underground City Square Car Park|
|August – December||Beginning of shaft construction including level by level demolition of underground car park structure|
|2018||Installation of acoustic shed over City Square|