Service relocations in Domain
These works are being delivered by a Managing Contractor, John Holland, and include the relocation and protection of over 100 underground utility services such as water, gas, power and telecommunications, as well as the construction of the South Yarra Main Sewer.
What we are doing
In the Domain precinct works include identifying underground services and the relocation and protection of these services.
Construction activity will be sequenced and coordinated with other works happening in the area, such as those being undertaken by Yarra Trams, to reduce disruption to residents, businesses and public transport users.
Telstra services within Bowen Crescent, St Kilda Road and Toorak Road West.
Completed late December 2017, a new gas pipeline in St Kilda Road, Domain Road, Bowen Crescent, Bromby Street, Domain Street, Albert Road (northern leg) and Park Street (South Melbourne).
Completed late December 2017, a new major sewer main that passes under St Kilda Road from Domain Road to Albert Road South.
Completed late December 2017, new power conduits from Park Street (South Melbourne) to the Shrine of Remembrance Reserve/ St Kilda Road. Relocation of power services and installing new power pits.
A new stormwater drain within the Shrine of Remembrance Reserve, Park Street (South Melbourne) Bowen Crescent and St Kilda Road.
A new water pipeline within the Shrine of Remembrance Reserve and St Kilda Road:
South African Soldiers Memorial
The South African Soldiers Memorial will be removed and stored for the duration of construction in Albert Road Reserve. The timing of this removal activity and subsequent storage is subject to heritage approvals.
- In the context of John Holland's (managing contractor) Early Works, the extent of tree removal from within the Domain precinct is currently 19 trees.
- Every effort has been made to minimise impacts to trees in this location.
- Some trees will need to be removed, however we have made every effort to reduce the number of trees affected. In keeping with this approach only those trees necessary to allow the relevant works to be performed will be removed and we will have all necessary permits in place for this activity to occur.
- Temporary fencing will be installed around the work sites to ensure the safety of the community and workers.
- There will be temporary lane closures on St Kilda Road associated with this work and we will need to occupy some parking spaces.
- The project arborist will be on site to supervise the installation of tree protection measures, and will also supervise when works are occurring within a Tree Protection Zone (TPZ).
- Where possible, timber from the removed trees will be re-used by City of Melbourne.
- A fauna inspection will take place in advance of removal activity with a wild life handler to be on site during works.
- As St Kilda Road is on the Victorian Heritage Register, a heritage permit application for these works has been approved by Heritage Victoria.
- We will replant at least two trees for every tree impacted by the construction of Metro Tunnel.
All traffic changes are listed on the Traffic changes in Domain page.
It is estimated that service relocations in the Domain precinct will take approximately 12 months and be completed in late 2017. The timing of construction activities is indicative and subject to change.
Hours of work
- 7am-6pm, Monday to Friday
- 7am-1pm, Saturdays
- 8am-5pm, Saturday and Sunday (as required)