Overview of works in Kensington
Works are underway to remove and relocate the existing high voltage (HV) transmission towers ahead of construction of the Metro Tunnel.
These towers need to be permanently relocated away from Childers Street to make way for the construction and operation of the western tunnel entrance.
- Piling works to support the foundations of the temporary HV transmission tower.
- Construction of tower foundations
- Delivery and pre-assembly of steel sections
- Erection of temporary HV tower using mobile cranes
- Piling works for foundations of the temporary HV transmission tower
- Construction of tower foundations.
- Delivery and pre-assembly of steel sections.
- Erection of temporary HV tower using mobile cranes.
- Construction of a retaining wall on the rail corridor embankment.
There will be changes to traffic arrangements on some local streets including Childers Street, Kensington Road, Hobsons Road and Dynon Road to facilitate the works.
These changes will include:
- Lane closure on Childers Street to facilitate installation of the temporary transmission tower and ensure the safe passage of vehicular traffic. This lane closure may be in place for up to four months until the temporary tower is removed.
- Temporary closures of Childers Street to safely facilitate the re-stringing of the transmission lines (closures will be undertaken in stages during off-peak times).
- Temporary changes to the shared user path on Childers Street (detours will be in place).
- Temporary impacts to parking on Childers Street near South Kensington station.
- Traffic management will be in place at all times during the works to maintain the flow of traffic and ensure the safety of work crews, cyclists and pedestrians.
Hours of work
The majority of work will take place during normal working hours.
- 7am – 6pm, Monday to Friday.
7am – 5pm, Saturdays.
Work outside of these hours will be required to complete certain activities (for instance, re-stringing of the transmission lines) however we will notify local residents and businesses in advance of these works occurring.
High voltage transmission tower locations
Legacy high voltage transmission tower alignment