Overview of works in Kensington
Works are underway to remove and relocate the existing high voltage (HV) transmission towers ahead of construction of the Metro Tunnel.
These towers need to be permanently relocated away from Childers Street to make way for the construction and operation of the western tunnel entrance.
- South Kensington Station site investigations nearby.
- Re-stringing of the transmission lines between the two temporary towers locate over two weekends until late March. Additional weekend works may be required to complete the works.
- Dismantling of the existing and temporary transmission towers.
- Service relocation for the installation of permanent HV tower at the southern end of the Hobsons Road site.
- Piling works for foundations of the permanent HV transmission tower.
- Construction of permanent tower foundations.
- Re-stringing of the transmission lines between the two temporary towers over two weekends until late March.
- Re-stringing of the transmission lines from the temporary tower to the permanent tower towards the middle of 2018.
- Dismantling of the temporary transmission tower.
There will be changes to traffic arrangements on some local streets including Childers Street, Kensington Road, Hobsons Road and Dynon Road to facilitate the works.
These changes will include:
- On 3 - 4 March, closure of Childers Street between Kensington Road and Ormond Street, and Hobsons Road between Kensington Road and the Wakefield Street pedestrian access to safely facilitate the re-stringing of the transmission lines.
- Vehicle access to the western section of Hobsons Road will be detoured via Tankard Street and Wakefield Street.
- Kensington Road traffic speed reduced to 40km/hour.
- A lane closure on Childers Street to facilitate works at the temporary transmission tower and to ensure the safe passage of vehicular traffic.
- Temporary changes to the shared user path on Childers Street (detours will be in place).
- Temporary impacts to parking on Childers Street near South Kensington station.
- Traffic management will be in place at all times during the works to maintain the flow of traffic and ensure the safety of work crews, cyclists and pedestrians.
Hours of work
The majority of work will take place during normal working hours.
- 7am – 6pm, Monday to Friday.
- 7am - 8pm, weekends (if required).
Work outside of these hours will be required to complete certain activities (for instance, re-stringing of the transmission lines) however we will notify local residents and businesses in advance of these works occurring.
High voltage transmission tower locations
Legacy high voltage transmission tower alignment