Works taking place in Kensington in 2017
These works are commencing in Kensington in 2017 and are being delivered by John Holland. The works occurring this year include the removal and relocation of existing high voltage (HV) transmission towers. These towers need to be permanently relocated away from Childers Street to make way for the construction and operation of the western tunnel entrance.
Before work to remove and relocate the HV transmission towers can commence, a number of activities will be undertaken to prepare the sites for construction.
This work will include:
- Installing temporary fencing around the sites
- Laying hard stands (a paved area) to support the construction of the towers
- Piling work to install foundations for the new and temporary towers.
HV transmission tower relocation
Works to relocate the HV transmission towers will be undertaken in stages over a number of months.
This work will involve:
- Pre-assembly of the new and temporary HV transmission towers at each site using a crane and delivery trucks
- Erecting a temporary tower on Childers Street which will be in place for up to four months
- Re-stringing transmission lines to the temporary tower (during off-peak times)
- Erecting the permanent towers
- Re-stringing of transmission lines to the permanent towers (during off-peak times)
- Removal of existing towers and the temporary tower.
There will be changes to traffic arrangements on some local streets including Childers Street, Kensington Road, Hobsons Road and Dynon Road to facilitate the works.
These changes will include:
- Lane closure on Childers Street to facilitate installation of the temporary transmission tower and ensure the safe passage of vehicular traffic. This lane closure may be in place for up to four months until the temporary tower is removed
- Temporary closures of Childers Street to safely facilitate the re-stringing of the transmission lines (closures will be undertaken in stages during off-peak times)
- Temporary changes to the shared user path on Childers Street (detours will be in place)
- Temporary impacts to parking on Childers Street near South Kensington station.
- Traffic management will be in place at all times during the works to maintain the flow of traffic and ensure the safety of work crews, cyclists and pedestrians.
Hours of work
The majority of work will take place during normal working hours.
- 7am – 6pm, Monday to Friday
7am – 1pm, Saturdays
Work outside of these hours will be required to complete certain activities (for instance, re-stringing of the transmission lines) however we will notify local residentsand businesses in advance of these works occurring.
What to be aware of
- Access to private properties and businesses will be maintained at all times
- Pedestrian and cycling access will be maintained but minor detours may be needed
- There may be some noise and dust associated with these works, however these will be managed in accordance with the Metro Tunnel's Environmental Performance Requirements
- Tree and vegetation removal will be required to facilitate the relocation of the HV transmission towers. Every effort has been made to minimise the number of trees requiring removal
- Fauna associated with trees to be removed will be assessed and managed appropriately.