Road network changes
In preparation for the closure of Grattan Street, a number of changes will be undertaken to improve road network capacity in this area.
These works form part of a program of network enhancement projects being delivered in conjunction with existing VicRoads initiatives to accommodate diverted traffic during construction. The projects will improve the resilience and capacity of the road network while the Metro Tunnel is built.
What we are doing
- Undertaking service investigations across the work areas to identify any underground services prior to saw-cutting or excavating the ground
- Installing site amenities on Pelham Street within our works site to support the works
- Installing new traffic signage, which will involve saw-cutting the road, excavating down to the required depth, pouring concrete foundations for the signage poles and installing signs
- Street modification works on Grattan and Pelham streets involving the removal and relocation of traffic islands, speed bumps and kerbing
- Removing the roundabout at the intersection of Pelham and Leicester streets
- Installing a new bus shelter on Pelham Street
- Relocating bus stops along Grattan Street, Pelham Street and Flemington Road
- Installing new tactiles at each relocated bus stop
- Line marking to support changed traffic movements
- Increasing the duration of no stopping periods to accommodate increased traffic flow through these areas during peak traffic periods.
What to be aware of
- There may be periods of medium-high level noise associated with these works. All construction activities will be managed in accordance with Metro Tunnel Project Environmental Performance Requirements (EPRs)
- A number of car parking spaces will be removed as part of these works to support relocated bus stops. These include:
- Five car parks and two loading zones on Pelham Street
- Two car parks and one loading zone on Flemington Road; and
- Nine car parks on Grattan Street
- These works will largely be carried out during off-peak traffic periods to minimise impacts on the road network
- Works on Pelham Street will require a stage road closure, affecting side street access to Pelham Street from Barry and Leicester streets. The local community will be provided with specific information on the timing of traffic impacts
- Further notification will be provided in advance of night works taking place closer to the date of these activities to impacted properties and stakeholders
- There will be short-term lane closures in place around works. Please refer to detour signage and construction speed restrictions
- Traffic management measures will be in place around works to ensure the safety of road users, pedestrians and cyclists. Changes to traffic conditions will also be coordinated with other works occurring in the area
- Any changes to public transport services will be managed by Public Transport Victoria (PTV). Please visit the PTV website for service updates.
Day works (normal construction hours)
- 7am – 6pm, Monday to Friday.
- 7am – 1pm, Saturdays.
- 6pm – 7am.
- Night works will be required for line marking works in high traffic areas to mitigate disruption to the road network and ensure the safety of our crews. These night works are expected to take up to two nights in each location to complete.