Travel advice for workplaces
Every organisation is unique, and may be affected by the construction of the Metro Tunnel in different ways.
While the new tunnels and stations are built, road and public transport networks will be busier than normal and that could have an impact on four key areas of your workplace:
- staff travel to and from the workplace
- business travel
- travel for your customers or other visitors
- deliveries, collections and supplier access
How we can help
Melbourne Metro Rail Authority (MMRA) has a team of transport advisors to help keep your workplace moving while major construction is underway.
We can help you prepare for upcoming changes by:
- providing up to date information about changes to transport networks during Metro Tunnel construction.
- sending you the regular Your Journey e-newsletter; please see below for details on how to sign up.
- giving you an information pack to assist you in developing a Travel Action Plan for your workplace.
- providing a template Travel Survey that you can adapt for your employees, visitors and suppliers to understand how they travel to and from your workplace.
- producing fact sheets on promoting public transport, cycling and walking at your workplace
- presenting at briefings and drop-in sessions for your employees, executive team and building managers.
For large organisations tailored one-to-one advice is available from a dedicated travel advisor which can include:
- undertaking a travel survey with your employees & visitors and analysing the results.
- assisting in the development of a Travel Action Plan for your workplace.
- offering ongoing support to help you implement your Travel Action Plan.
To find out more information please contact the Your Journey team directly.
A Travel Action Plan is a package of sustainable travel initiatives tailored to suit an organisation so they can manage the transport needs of staff, visitors, patients, students and/or suppliers during Metro Tunnel construction.
Developing a tailored Travel Action Plan will help your organisation plan ahead for transport impacts.
Every organisation's plan will be different, however all plans will contain a mix of sustainable options that enable people to travel safely and efficiently to and from your workplace.
Senior management leadership and support for your Travel Action Plan is important and will allow your workplace to better deliver travel solutions.
There are a range of travel options and initiatives your workplace can adopt to make travel easier during Metro Tunnel construction and help you plan ahead for transport impacts.
You can find more information in the fact sheets below (right click to open them in a new window), or by contacting MMRA's Your Journey team.
- Your Journey overview (PDF, 447.6 KB)
- Travel advice for your workplace (PDF, 3.1 MB)
- Develop a Travel Action Plan (PDF, 662.2 KB)
- Travel Action Plan template (DOCX, 302.3 KB)
- Making your workplace cycling friendly (PDF, 552.4 KB)
- Making your workplace walking friendly (PDF, 437.7 KB)
- Promoting public transport in your workplace (PDF, 541.8 KB)
Support for schools and universities
MMRA has a range of resources for schools and universities to assist them in supporting their employees, students and visitors journeys during Metro Tunnel construction.
You can find more information in the fact sheets below or by contacting MMRA's Your Journey team.
- Travel advice for schools (PDF, 2.2 MB)
- Travel advice for universities (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Travel Action Plan for schools template (DOCX, 304.6 KB)
- Travel Action Plan for universities template (DOCX, 304.5 KB)
- Walking and cycling programs for schools (PDF, 390.9 KB)
Useful information and links
- PTV's myki Commuter Club allows organisations to buy yearly myki passes for staff at a 10 per cent discount.
- Bicycle Network provides tips and advice for organisations to make their workplace cycling-friendly.
- National Ride2Work Day is the largest celebration of commuter riding in Australia.
- Victoria Walks has developed Smart Steps for Business, offering advice and tips to get workplaces walking.
- The Steptember annual charity event, run by Cerebral Palsy Alliance challenges people to take 10,000 steps a day for 28 days.
- Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day is an annual event that helps employers and employees to build regular walking into their daily routine.
Information sessions and events
MMRA will be organising a number of workshops and drop in sessions for organisations to provide advice on potential transport impacts and travel options for staff, customers and suppliers.
Sign up for Your Journey business updates to receive notifications about upcoming events.
Metro Tunnel Tourism Industry Forum
Come and hear from Melbourne Metro Rail Authority CEO Evan Tattersall about how Metro Tunnel construction will be carefully managed to ensure Melbourne remains an attractive and vibrant destination for tourists, shoppers and event goers. Find out more about how disruption will be managed during construction and about the project's proposed Creative Strategy to activate work sites.
Tuesday 29 August 2017
9am for 9.30am start until 11am
Engineers Australia, Level 31, 600 Bourke Street, Melbourne
Light refreshments will be available prior to the forum commencing.
The event is free but bookings are required. RSVP for the Metro Tunnel Tourism Industry Forum.
To find out more about how MMRA can provide travel support to your organisation please contact the Your Journey team directly by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or Sign up for Your Journey business updates and information.