Works taking place in North Melbourne in 2017
John Holland has been appointed as the Managing Contractor for this package of works, which includes service relocation, tree and vegetation removal and demolition of existing buildings within Government-owned land in Arden.
What we are doing
Establishing a temporary site compound to support construction activities. The compound will be used as a temporary site office for staff during standard working hours only.
Staged demolition of vacant buildings within the Government-owned land in Arden using machinery such as large cranes and excavators.
Ensuring the safe removal of any asbestos contained within these buildings prior to demolition (surrounding businesses and community will be notified separately in advance of asbestos removal).
Staged removal of trees to facilitate construction of the new Arden Station using chainsaws, excavators and boom lifts to complete the removal.
What to be aware of
Generally, staff will enter and exit the Arden site during normal construction hours.
- Temporary fencing will be installed around the work sites to ensure the safety of the community.
- On-site staff parking will be provided to minimise impacts on public car parking
- Impacts from noise, dust and vibration will be managed in accordance with the Metro Tunnel's Environmental Performance Requirements (EPRs)
- Traffic management measures may be required to ensure the safety of work crews and pedestrians and maintain flow of traffic
- Access to private properties and businesses will be maintained at all times
- There may be some temporary pedestrian diversions required.
Pre-clear surveys will be undertaken to identify any fauna present in trees and buildings prior to removal, and appropriate management strategies put in place.
The river red gum tree on Laurens Street (near Boral) is not being removed.
We will replant at least two trees for every tree removed for construction of the Metro Tunnel to enhance long term canopy cover across the Metro Tunnel Project.
These works will take place during standard working hours:
- 7am – 6pm, Monday to Friday
- 7am – 1pm, Saturday
Site mobilisation and occupation
From Wednesday 12 April to November 2017
From Thursday 20 April to July 2017
From Thursday 20 April to June 2017
We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program.