CBD North station
Building the Metro Tunnel will free up space in the City Loop so we can run more trains in and out of the city.
CBD stations are currently experiencing intense crowding at peak times. The use of the five City Loop stations is projected to almost double from 580,000 passengers a day to 1.1 million in 2031.
Once operational, the Metro Tunnel's CBD North and CBD South stations will more evenly distribute passenger flow and interchange movements in the inner core of the Melbourne rail network, with crowding across all City Loop stations expected to drop by about 20 per cent.
The CBD North station will improve access to RMIT University, the State Library of Victoria and the growing retail and residential precinct located on the northern edge of the CBD.
Find out more
- Station location and access
- Construction works
- Partial closures of Franklin Street and A'Beckett Street
- Site establishment and utility service relocations
- Preparation for construction of station shafts
- Changes to La Trobe Street
- Changes to Victoria Street
- Construction plans for the CBD stations
- Frequently asked questions
- Subscribe for email updates