CBD North works underway
Work has begun in the CBD North area in preparation for major construction for the Metro Tunnel Project.
These works include site establishment, tree and vegetation removal, relocation and protection of underground utility services such as water, gas, power and telecommunications and shaft construction for the new rail tunnels and CBD North Station.
Franklin and A'Beckett Street will be closed for five years.
Additional site establishment work will be undertaken on Franklin Street and A'Beckett Street.
- from late March on Franklin Street - between Victoria Street and Swanston Street
- from early-mid May on A'Beckett Street - between Swanston Street and Stewart Street
Gantries will create an enclosed and well lit pedestrian walkway that provides a safety barrier between pedestrians and the construction site. These will be erected on the current walkways on the south side of Franklin Street and the north side of A'Beckett Street. A gantry is already in place on the north side of Franklin Street.
Shaft construction will start with bored piling works at the Franklin Street site from Monday 10 April, and in May at the A'Beckett Street site. Piling will take up to four months to complete at each site.
Bored piling requires a piling rig to drill a steel lining into the ground to create a hole and removing spoil material from within the steel liner. Once the hole is excavated, a steel prefabricated reinforcement cage is placed within. Concrete is then poured into the hole to form the pile and once the concrete sets, the bored pile is complete.
100 piles will be constructed at the Franklin Street shaft site, and 76 piles will be constructed at the A'Beckett Street shaft site.
The other activities include:
- Delivery, unloading, and assembly of steel reinforcing cages
- Extracting spoil from the excavated bored holes
- Concrete trucks moving onto site regularly to assist pours for newly excavated piles.
What to expect
Noise and vibration can result from a range of activities and equipment used during pile construction. Common sources of noise include heavy machinery, trucks, piling rigs, power tools and broadband reversing beepers on mobile equipment.
The amount of noise on a construction site may vary at any given time depending on the activities being carried out, however we are required to employ mitigation strategies that comply with the Metro Tunnel's Environmental Performance Requirements (EPRs) to minimise disruption to the community.
Equipment laydown areas
Equipment laydown areas are being established at Franklin Street - between Swanston Street and Elizabeth Street - and A'Beckett Street on the RMIT half basketball courts and surrounding footpath and road.
These areas will be used to store machinery and equipment for the duration of the Metro Tunnel Project and will support the construction of the shafts and future tunnel works.
A limited number of trees will be removed from the CBD North sites to facilitate construction of the new station
Where possible, timber from the removed trees will be re-used by City of Melbourne. Some mulching will take place on site.
MMRA will replant two trees for every tree we remove on the project, to enhance long term canopy cover.
Service relocation works are continuing in CBD North. These works will be delivered during the night to ensure minimal disruption to roads and footpaths.
Service relocation works are expected to be completed by July 2017
On Franklin Street - between Victoria Street and Swanston Street - the following service relocations are complete or currently in progress:
- The new drainage and water services have been laid using the open-cut trenching method on the north side of Franklin Street. The trench will be backfilled and the area reinstated in late March
- Gas works on Victoria Street and Swanston Street commenced in early-March and will continue until late April. This work will be completed at night between 9pm-5am.
On A'Beckett Street, the following works are underway:
- Telecommunication relocation has commenced on Swanston Street and A'Beckett Street
- Relocation of high voltage and low voltage electrical assets.
The additional planned service relocations still to be completed include:
- Sewer, water and drainage relocation on the south side of Franklin street within our Franklin Street site compound
- Night works for gas installation on Franklin Street, A'Beckett Street and Stewart Street starting in April are expected to be completed by May
- Water, drainage and electrical service relocation works will commence in Franklin Street west (between Elizabeth and Swanston Streets) by late April and be completed by July 2017.