Service relocations in Domain
These works are being delivered by a Managing Contractor, John Holland, and include the relocation and protection of over 100 underground utility services such as water, gas, power and telecommunications, as well as site preparation works across the project.
What we are doing
In the Domain precinct works include identifying underground services and the relocation and protection of these services.
Construction activity will be sequenced and coordinated with other works happening in the area, such as those being undertaken by Yarra Trams, to reduce disruption to residents, businesses and public transport users.
- Relocating existing services, including power and telecommunications cables, gas pipelines, stormwater drains, sewerage and water pipelines and mains within the Shrine Reserve.
- The relocation of gas services in Bromby Street and Domain Street (expected to start from late April)
- Power, gas and water services in Park Street, South Melbourne and St Kilda Road (expected to start from May)
- Sewer and stormwater drain and water main on St Kilda Road from April, requiring the removal of some trees.
There will also be utility services relocations to move underground gas and sewer pipelines in Toorak Road West out of the new tram alignment.
- In the context of John Holland's (managing contractor) Early Works, the extent of tree removal from within the Domain precinct is currently 19 trees.
- Every effort has been made to minimise impacts to trees in this location.
- Some trees will need to be removed, however we have made every effort to reduce the number of trees affected. In keeping with this approach only those trees necessary to allow the relevant works to be performed will be removed and we will have all necessary permits in place for this activity to occur.
- The project arborist will be on site to supervise the installation of tree protection measures, and will also supervise when works are occurring within a Tree Protection Zone (TPZ)
- We will replant at least two trees for every tree impacted by the construction of our city's newest rail line.
To prepare for major construction the Managing Contractor will make some changes to the road network to help keep Melbourne moving.
Changes will be made to traffic conditions on Domain Road, Bromby Street and other local roads.
Traffic changes on Domain Road will include:
- Installation of a U-turn west of Dallas Brooks Drive.
- Adjustment to bus zones and drop off areas.
- Various road and kerb works for access to Edmund Herring Oval.
Other local roads may have changed traffic conditions to and from Toorak Road West. We will communicate these changes in advance of them being implemented.
It is estimated that service relocations in the Domain precinct will take approximately 12 months and be completed in late 2017. The timing of construction activities is indicative and subject to change.
No work will take place on Remembrance Day (11 November) or Anzac Day (25 April).
November 2016 to October 2017 – Telstra services within the Shrine of Remembrance Reserve, Bowen Crescent and St Kilda Road.
Gas and sewer
January to May 2017 – new gas pipeline and sewer main line in Toorak Road West.
February to July 2017 – new gas pipeline in Bowen Crescent, Bromby Street, Domain Street and Park Street (South Melbourne)
April to November 2017 – A new major sewer main that passes under St Kilda Road from Domain Road to Albert Road South.
April to July 2017 – new power conduits from Park Street (South Melbourne) to the Shrine of Remembrance Reserve/ St Kilda Road.
May to August 2017 – a new stormwater drain within the Shrine of Remembrance Reserve, Bowen Crescent and St Kilda Road.
July to August 2017 – a new water pipeline within the Shrine of Remembrance Reserve and St Kilda Road.
South African Soldiers Memorial
Late 2017 – the South African Soldiers Memorial will be removed and stored for the duration of construction in Albert Road Reserve. The timing of this removal activity and subsequent storage is subject to heritage and planning approvals.
Hours of work
- 7am-6pm, Monday to Friday
- 7am-1pm, Saturdays
- When any out of hours works be required, we will notify local residents and businesses in advance of these works occurring.
All reasonable efforts will be made to complete works ahead of schedule, subject to weather and ground conditions.
We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program.
What to be aware of
- A fenced site will be established within the Shrine reserve to contain the works and ensure the safety of pedestrians and workers
- The works to install the new gas and sewer pipelines in Toorak Road West will be coordinated with the new tram infrastructure works delivered by Yarra Trams to minimise the impacts on the local community, road and tram users.
- There will be temporary changes to traffic conditions in the local area. These changes will vary depending on the works and the community will be notified in advance.
- Traffic management will be in place during construction to maintain the flow of traffic and ensure the safety of work crews and pedestrians. Any required changes to the road network will be communicated in advance of the works using a range of communication tools.
- This work will not impact on your service utility connections
- The fence line will be close to, but not physically impact on, the Cobbers statue
- Access to the Shrine reserve will be maintained at all times
- Some pedestrian diversions will be in place
- Access to private property and businesses will be maintained at all times
- There may be some noise and dust associated with these works. Strategies will be put in place to minimise disruption to the community. These mitigation strategies will comply with the Metro Tunnel's Environmental Performance Requirements.
- Once installed, all services will be re-run through the new conduit and connected within the coming months
- Existing services will only be disconnected once the crossover is complete
- There will be additional service relocations that need to occur outside of the Shrine reserve, however we will provide further information ahead of these works occurring.
Current construction site
Domain early works information session
Date: Sunday, 30 April 2017
Time: Drop by at any time between 10:00am – 12:00pm
Where: Southern side of Albert Road Reserve, South Melbourne
The Managing Contractor, John Holland has now commenced Early Works and invites you to attend an information session to learn more about these works. The works include the relocation of the South Yarra Main Sewer, which includes temporary traffic changes associated with the closure of the southern leg of Albert Road, South Melbourne, as well as sewer shaft construction and the removal of two small trees.