Suggest a station name
Victorians have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to make their mark on Melbourne by naming the Metro Tunnel’s new underground rail stations.
If any of your suggestions become a final station name, you’ll be in the running to win:
- School students: an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of the Metro Tunnel for your class
- 18 and over: an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of the Metro Tunnel works
Submissions closed Sunday 22 October 2017.
The Victorian Government will make a decision on the five station names after considering a shortlist compiled by an Advisory Panel.
This competition is open to residents of Victoria only. For more details see our Terms and Conditions (PDF, 48 KB).
Tips for complying with the State's Naming Rules
- no longer than three words or 25 characters in total (e.g. Southern Cross Station)
- an exception is Aboriginal language names which may at first appear complex but will, over time, become familiar and easy to use (e.g. Birrarung Marr)
- the person should have been held in high regard by the community and preferably have some connection to the location
- the names of people who are still alive must be avoided
- names should reflect the history of the local area and iconic locations nearby
- if you think any of the current working names is indeed the best choice, feel free to make them your suggestion
- will it continue to make sense to future generations of commuters, businesses, tourists and other visitors?
For more detail about what makes an acceptable name, see the Naming rules for places in Victoria on the Office of Geographic Names website.