Summer works overview
Posted: 02 Jan 2020
- In January 2020, major 24/7 works will be undertaken as part of the summer blitz rail occupation in South Yarra.
- Buses will replace trains on the Cranbourne, Pakenham, Frankston and Sandringham lines from Thursday 2 January to Sunday 26 January 2020.
- Critical work will be undertaken on the cut and cover structure, as well as shifting the existing rail track to make room for the new track that will connect the Sunbury line to the Cranbourne/Pakenham lines via the Metro Tunnel.
During works, we will:
- Pour more than 3,500 cubic metres of concrete, including 1,340 cubic metres for the roof slab
- Install approximately 550 tonnes of steel reinforcement; 4,000 tonnes of capping and backfill; and 1,650 linear metres of drainage
- Remove 2 kilometres of track, overhead lines and signalling equipment
- Install 6 track turnouts; 1.8 kilometres of new track; 8,500 tonnes of ballast; 2,900 sleepers; 32 gantries; 12 foundations for new overhead wiring structures, and
- Commission 62 kilometres of cable; 4 gantries; 6 fixed signals; 1.2 kilometres of new high voltage cable and upgrades to 24 signal boxes
Disruptions for commuters
From 2 to 26 January, buses will replace trains on the Cranbourne/Pakenham and Frankston lines between Flinders Street and Caulfield. Coaches will replace trains on the Gippsland line between Bairnsdale/Traralgon and Southern Cross.
Buses will replace trains on the Sandringham line during various times in January.
To find out how you will be affected, see Victoria's Big Build.
Disruptions for residents
Works are expected to generate medium level noise, with periods of high-level noise while we complete excavation, vegetation removal and retaining wall works.
Where possible we will complete high impact works during the day however, as works are occuring 24/7 we will need to undertake some of these high impact works at night.
To find out how you might be affected by works in January, see our works notifications for South Yarra.
If you require further information, you can call the project team 24/7 on 1800 105 105.
Some parking on Stables Lane, Hopetoun Grove and Palfreyman Street will be temporarily removed during this time to allow safe access in and out of the rail corridor while we complete these works.
- Wednesday 1 to Sunday 12 January.
Stables Lane, Palfreyman Street and Railway Place
- Monday 30 December to Friday 31 January.