Project news and updates
02 Apr 2019
Flaked stone artefacts used by Aboriginal peoples, found during our archaeological investigations, are on display at Metro Tunnel HQ.
29 Mar 2019
The search is on for drivers to operate the massive tunnel boring machines (TBMs) that will dig the Metro Tunnel.
13 Mar 2019
We have partnered with Roamni to present free audio tours of the area around the Anzac Station site.
11 Mar 2019
08 Mar 2019
We are holding pop-ups at events through out the city to reduce the risks to cyclists, pedestrians and motorcyclists who move around our worksites.
28 Feb 2019
A second roadheader is set to commence excavation at the end of February from the Franklin Street east shaft. This machine will start excavating under Swanston Street, east to west, as it creates an underground passenger connection. It’ll be launched 26 metres underground in the coming days.
19 Feb 2019
The names of the four TBM’s set to build the Metro Tunnel have been revealed.
18 Feb 2019
The first of four tunnel boring machines for the Metro Tunnel Project has completed its journey by sea to the Port of Melbourne.
Joan has arrived!
Joan, our first tunnel boring machine has arrived. Weighing in at a whopping 1,000 tonnes and 120m in length, she’s a beauty! Joan will be reassembled onsite at the new North Melbourne station in the coming weeks and prepared for tunnelling.Posted by Metro Tunnel on Tuesday, 12 February 2019
15 Feb 2019
Excavation has commenced at the Parkville worksite as workers dig out the equivalent of 80 Olympic swimming pools worth of rock and soil to build the new Parkville Station.
05 Feb 2019
Victorians are being given the opportunity to have their say on the Metro Tunnel's upcoming development plans.
- 14 Jun Suburban Rail Loop
- 13 Jun Fast Rail to Geelong
- 13 Jun Western Rail Plan
- 13 Jun Rail Projects Victoria
- 13 Jun Construction on the Sunbury line
- 13 Jun State Library precinct work notifications
- 13 Jun Construction in Melbourne CBD
- 12 Jun Eastern and Western Portal Development Plans
- 12 Jun Community Reference Groups
- 11 Jun Arden precinct work notifications
- 11 Jun Transport changes in South Yarra
- 11 Jun South Yarra precinct work notifications
- 11 Jun Traffic changes around State Library Station
- 11 Jun Disruptions
- 11 Jun Construction