Works are underway to prepare to construct an entrance to Town Hall Station at Federation Square.
The entrance will improve access to this important civic space as well as Southbank, the Arts Centre, St Paul’s Cathedral and other culturally significant landmarks.
Future station entrance at Federation Square
Site establishment works
Demolition of the former Melbourne Visitor Centre has commenced to make way for the station entrance. This work involves:
- Erecting 3.5 metre high hoarding around the site
- Applying creative treatments to the hoarding
- Ongoing demolition works within the site area
- Construction of an acoustic shed in mid 2019.
Long term traffic changes
- The left turn lane on Flinders Street closest to Federation Square was closed in October 2018 for up to four years.
- Motorists can expect peak time delays of up to 15 minutes when turning left from Flinders Street into St Kilda Road while the lane closure is in place
- Public transport services won’t be affected and cyclists will continue to have access to Swanston Street and St Kilda Road bike lanes
- Access to properties and businesses will be maintained at all times.
- A full closure of the footpath along Flinders Street next to Federation Square will be in place until 2022 with an alternative route provided through Federation Square
- The pedestrian crossing to/from Federation Square across Flinders Street will be maintained
- Signage and wayfinding will be installed around the hoarding to safely direct pedestrians.