Traffic changes around State Library Station
Temporary and long-term changes to traffic and pedestrian conditions will be required for construction of State Library Station.
La Trobe Street lane closures
From 20 May, there will be staged eastbound lane closures on La Trobe Street between Swanston and Elizabeth streets. Underground service relocations will commence on La Trobe Street (between Elizabeth and Swanston streets) to construct the underground pedestrian connection between Melbourne Central Station and the future State Library Station.
Access to businesses and residential buildings on La Trobe Street will be maintained at all times.
- Monday 20 May to Friday 21 June: La Trobe Street will be closed eastbound, with no through access to Swanston Street
- Saturday 22 June to Monday 24 June: One lane open eastbound
- Tuesday 25 June to Monday 1 July: Overnight eastbound closure of La Trobe Street from 8pm to 7am. One eastbound lane will be open outside of these hours
- Tuesday 2 July to Monday 15 July: One lane open eastbound
Motorists can detour via Lonsdale and Russell streets.
Detours are available for:
The eastbound bike lane on La Trobe Street will be closed between Swanston and Elizabeth streets from Monday 20 May to Monday 15 July. Cyclists can detour via Little Lonsdale Street.
The northern footpath adjacent to the La Trobe Street work site will be closed for the duration of these works, from Monday 20 May to Monday 15 July.
Access to the La Trobe Street tram stop will be via Swanston Street. Access to Melbourne Central will be via the underground passageway, accessible by lifts or stairs.
Before piling works commence on Little La Trobe Street in August, existing gas services under Literature Lane need to be relocated.
These works will occur:
- 7am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
- 10am to 7pm, Sundays.
As a result, Literature Lane will be closed to motorists during work hours.
There will also be no access to motorists on Little La Trobe Street on Sundays or on Monday 13 and Monday 27 May during work hours.
Traffic management will be in place to safely guide pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists around the work area
These works are expected to generate high levels of noise.
See below map for closure details.
The entire length of Stewart Street in a southbound direction is now one-way.
A'Beckett Street is closed between Swanston and Stewart streets.
- Gantry walkways have been installed on both sides of A'Beckett Street.
- A designated pedestrian access path has been installed around the laydown and storage area on the half basketball courts on A'Beckett Street.
- At night, pedestrians will be able to cross A'Beckett Street at the Stewart Street intersection to the southern footpath. This access will be closed during the day for pedestrian safety purposes.
- A gantry walkway on the northern footpath of A'Beckett Street creates an enclosed and well-lit pedestrian walkway that provides a safety barrier between pedestrians and the construction site.
- Franklin Street is closed between Swanston Street and Victoria Street.
- The westbound lanes on Franklin Street (between Swanston and Stewart Streets) are closed (from 27 August 2018 for up to two years).
Victoria and Therry streets
- Detour via Elizabeth Street to access Franklin Street.