Traffic changes around State Library Station
Temporary and long-term changes to traffic and pedestrian conditions will be required for construction of State Library station.
The entire length of Stewart Street in a southbound direction is now one-way.
There will be short-term pedestrian diversions during the demolition of buildings between La Trobe Street and Little La Trobe Street.
La Trobe Street
Changes to La Trobe Street intersections between William and Exhibition streets have been made to allow traffic to flow more efficiently through the north of the city. This included traffic signal improvements, line marking improvements, kerb widening and removing the hook turn from La Trobe Street (eastbound) into Elizabeth Street (southbound).
A'Beckett Street is closed between Swanston and Stewart streets.
- Gantry walkways have been installed on both sides of A'Beckett Street.
- A designated pedestrian access path has been installed around the laydown and storage area on the half basketball courts on A'Beckett Street.
- At night, pedestrians will be able to cross A'Beckett Street at the Stewart Street intersection to the southern footpath. This access will be closed during the day for pedestrian safety purposes.
- A gantry walkway on the northern footpath of A'Beckett Street creates an enclosed and well-lit pedestrian walkway that provides a safety barrier between pedestrians and the construction site.
- Franklin Street is closed between Swanston Street and Victoria Street.
- The westbound lanes on Franklin Street (between Swanston and Stewart Streets) are closed (from 27 August 2018 for up to two years).
- Closed from 7am - 6pm, Monday to Friday (between 12 and 19 November 2018)
- Closed from 9am - 7pm, Sunday 18 November 2018
Victoria and Therry streets
- No right turn from Victoria Street into Therry Street.
- Detour via Elizabeth Street to access Therry Street and Franklin Street
- Closed at the intersection of Victoria Street.
- Access from Queensberry Street.