Traffic changes around Town Hall Station
From 2 September, both eastbound lanes on Flinders Street will be closed between Elizabeth and Swanston streets for up to three years.
A four year lane closure is now in place on Flinders Street with one lane closed westbound between Russell and Swanston streets.
Drivers will still have one left-turning lane from Flinders Street towards St Kilda Road and one lane towards Elizabeth Street.
Motorists are encouraged to plan ahead and allow up to an extra 15 minutes if travelling through this stretch of Flinders Street.
- There will be intermittent Flinders Street westbound closures between Russell Street and Swanston Street, from 10pm to 5am in late July, during the delivery of oversized equipment to the Federation Square site. Motorists are advised to detour via Russell, Collins and Queens streets.
- There will be some short term delays on Royston Place whilst hoarding is constructed on the western side of the Flinders Quarter site.
Flinders Street overnight closures
Flinders Street will be closed to traffic in both directions between Swanston and Elizabeth Streets, from 8pm to 6am from Sunday to Thursday throughout August.
A partial footpath closure will also be in place.
Trams will continue to run in both directions throughout the works in August.
Footpaths on the north and south sides of Flinders Street between Elizabeth Street and Swanston Street will remain open but will be narrowed in some locations between 8pm and 6am between Sunday and Thursday.
As part of these works a new pedestrian crossing will also be established to the west of Degraves Street to enable pedestrians to cross to the south side of Flinders Street and maintain access to the tram stop.
Pedestrian and vehicle access will be maintained for local businesses and residents, on both the south and north sides of Flinders Street between Elizabeth Street and Swanston Street footpaths will remain open but will be narrowed in some locations.
Road users are encouraged to plan ahead and use alternate routes.
From 23 July safety gates will be installed on the Swanston Street western footpath between Flinders Street and Flinders Lane. These pedestrian and cyclist safety gates will replace the manually operated gates currently operating at the entrances to the Flinders Quarter site. The gates will create a safer and more efficient process and will be operational from late August 2019.
- Ongoing closure of the far-left turning lane on Flinders Street into St Kilda Road, adjacent to Federation Square for up to 4 years.
- Ongoing closure of the northern footpath on Flinders Lane between Swanston Street and Regent Place, with pedestrian diversion to the southern footpath.
- Ongoing closure of the southern footpath on Flinders Street adjacent to the Federation Square worksite, with pedestrian diversion through Federation Square.
- Temporary holding of traffic on Flinders Lane for up to 3 minutes periods to enable safe delivery of site equipment and materials.
- Intermittent closures of small sections of the pedestrian walk ways on Elizabeth, Swanston, Russell, Flinders and Collins streets, Flinders and Princes walks, Rainbow and Banana alleys, and Boathouse Drive to enable groundwater monitoring.
- Traffic management will be in place when required to safely guide pedestrians, cyclists, and vehicles around work areas.
- Access for residents and businesses will be maintained at all times.