Traffic changes around Domain
Changes have been made to allow for major construction of the Metro Tunnel and new Anzac Station.
Significant changes to pedestrian, cyclist, public transport and vehicle movements have been made and will remain in the area for several years.
Our two tunnel boring machines (TBMs), Millie and Alice are scheduled to complete their journey from the Anzac Station site to South Yarra from September 2020. Once the TBMs have broken through into the retrieval shaft in Osborne Street, they will be disassembled before the oversized parts are transported back to the Anzac Station site for reassembly and relaunch towards the CBD.
Find out about traffic changes required for oversized deliveries.
Changes to pedestrian access
Some short-term pedestrian detours are required as works continue on the footpath between Bowen Crescent and Albert Road South to tie in the new sections of asphalt into the existing footpath levels.
- Access to local buildings will be maintained at all times.
- Please see signage and detour maps in the area during these footpath closures.
- The former Domain Interchange is now closed and the replacement stop north of Park Street is active.
- The former Bowen Crescent tram stop has been removed.
- A new stop on Park Street replaces the stop previously located at the intersection of Kings Way and Park Street.
Major works completed in April 2018 and October 2019
Works to realign the traffic, tram and bicycle lanes took place on St Kilda Road in April 2018 and again in October 2019.
These changes were required to establish our St Kilda Road work site and to divert trams and other traffic around the Anzac Station construction site.