Sunbury, Werribee and Williamstown rail line closures
Works in the rail corridor are required to prepare for building the western tunnel entrance. To ensure the safety of rail users and our workers, these activities can only be performed safely when trains are not operating. These works include:
- Installing foundations for repositioned overhead rail structures
- Installation of a fence around the work site
- Installation of signalling cables and casing
- Non-destructive digging (NDD) along the rail corridor and next to Childers Street to understand ground conditions and identify underground services.
So the 24 hour works can take place safely, buses will replace trains from 8.30pm Saturday 19 January until the last train service on Sunday 20 January on the following lines:
- Sunbury line: Between North Melbourne and Sunshine
- Werribee and Williamstown lines: Between North Melbourne, Newport and Williamstown.
To minimise disruption to the local community and rail users, important Metro Trains Melbourne maintenance works will also be carried out at this time.
From 8:30pm Saturday 19 January until the first train service on Monday 21 January
Works will be undertaken 24 hours during this period.
Other major projects are also underway during this time, see Big Build for details.