Building the North Melbourne substation
The North Melbourne substation is an essential piece of infrastructure that will power the Metro Tunnel’s twin nine-kilometre rail tunnels and the new Arden Station. It is located adjacent to the Moonee Ponds Creek and the new Arden Station.
Following approval of the North Melbourne substation development plan in early-2020, ongoing works at the substation site involves:
- Service and site investigation works including non-destructive digging to locate underground services and monitoring activities including survey and soil sampling
- Excavation and earthworks
- Installation of steel reinforcement and formwork to construct the structure’s foundations
Construction will continue in 2021.
Managing construction impacts
Environmental Performance Requirements (EPRs) have been developed in consultation with key stakeholders throughout the Metro Tunnel's planning process to avoid, reduce or manage construction impacts in Arden. Find out more about managing construction impacts.
Normal construction hours
- Work will take place 7am to 6pm, Monday to Friday and 7am to 1pm, Saturdays.
- Certain activities may need to be undertaken out of hours. These will be notified to nearby stakeholders prior to commencing.
Managing traffic and transport
- Short holds of traffic on the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail will be required intermittently while large construction vehicles travel along the narrow section of the existing access track near Arden Street. Traffic controllers will be in place to direct cyclists, pedestrians and construction vehicles.