Building the North Melbourne Electrical Substation
The North Melbourne electrical substation is an essential piece of infrastructure that will power the Metro Tunnel’s twin nine-kilometre rail tunnels and the new Arden Station. It is located adjacent to the Moonee Ponds Creek, west of the Arden Station site.
Following approval of the North Melbourne Electrical Substation Development Plan in early-2020, ongoing works at the substation site involves:
- Intermittent service and site investigation works including non-destructive digging to locate underground services
- Ongoing site investigations and monitoring activities including survey and soil sampling
- Constructing the substation structure, including installation of roofing and cladding, and internal fit out works
- Installation and fit out of electrical systems and switch rooms.
Cable route works
Monday 31 May to mid-July 2021
Construction of the cable route between the new substation and the existing West Melbourne Terminal Station will involve boring beneath Moonee Ponds Creek and works on the western bank to install underground conduits for the two high-voltage power supplies. Key works include:
- Earthworks to construct a ramp for site access between the West Melbourne Terminal Station and railway line on the western side of Moonee Ponds Creek
- Preparatory works to construct a temporary launch pit on the eastern side of Moonee Ponds Creek and a temporary retrieval pit on the western side of Moonee Ponds Creek.
- Using a micro-bore machine to tunnel beneath the creek from east to west to create two bores; one for each of the two high voltage power supplies
- Constructing two trenches along the western side of the creek from the retrieval pit to the West Melbourne Terminal Station in the areas shown on the map.
For further details, see the North Melbourne electrical substation cable route works notification, May to July 2021 (PDF, 275.7 KB)
Managing construction impacts
Environmental Performance Requirements (EPRs) have been developed in consultation with key stakeholders throughout the Metro Tunnel's planning process to avoid, reduce or manage construction impacts in Arden. Find out more about managing construction impacts.
Normal construction hours
- Work will take place 7am to 6pm, Monday to Friday and 7am to 1pm, Saturdays.
- Certain activities may need to be undertaken out of hours. Impacted stakeholders will be notified in advance of works commencing.
Managing traffic and transport
- Short holds of traffic on the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail will be required intermittently while large construction vehicles travel along the narrow section of the existing access track near Arden Street. Traffic controllers will be in place to direct cyclists, pedestrians and construction vehicles.