Transport changes in Parkville
Construction of Parkville Station is underway with Grattan Street closed to traffic.
Grattan Street road closure
Grattan Street is closed to vehicles between Flemington Road and Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade.
The right hand-turn from Royal Parade southbound lane into Grattan Street is closed to traffic.
Grattan Street is also closed to vehicles between Royal Parade and Leicester Street, as is Barry Street between Pelham Street and Grattan Street.
Queensberry Street was widened to two traffic lanes between Elizabeth and Rathdowne streets to give road users heading east-west across the city an additional option to Grattan and Victoria streets.
Changes for pedestrians and cyclists
On Grattan Street between Royal Parade/ Elizabeth Street and Leicester Street pedestrian access is maintained using the covered pedestrian walkway constructed in front of the University of Melbourne’s Medical Building. This walkway is for pedestrian access only.
Cyclist access is unavailable and cyclists are asked to dismount their bicycle and use the path on the south side of Grattan Street. The entrance to the Medical Building on Grattan Street is available via the pedestrian walkway. All other entrances to the building remain unchanged.
On the south side, pedestrian access is maintained. For the safety of all users, cyclists are requested to dismount and walk their bicycle.
Access to the Alan Gilbert Building and the Peter Doherty Institute is available via the covered pedestrian walkways.
On Grattan Street, between Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade and Flemington Road, cyclists travelling westbound are asked to dismount their bicycle and use the footpath on Grattan Street.
While there are restrictions to bicycle paths along Grattan Street between Royal Parade and Leicester Street, a number of changes have been made across the bicycle network to help keep cyclists moving, including redesigning some intersections and road layouts.
Queensberry Street between Elizabeth Street and Rathdowne Street has been modified to allow traffic to flow more efficiently through the north of the city. The bicycle lanes on both sides of Queensberry Street have been improved, providing a dedicated route for cyclists.
Access around the University of Melbourne main campus
City Ford site
- Used for equipment laydown area, truck parking and site sheds.
Grattan Street east of Royal Parade
- Grattan Street closed east of Royal Parade for vehicles.
Gate 10 - University of Melbourne
- Emergency and essential delivery vehicle access only.
- Pedestrian and cyclist access maintained.
Barry Street closure
- Closed to vehicles between Pelham and Grattan streets.
- Access for pedestrians only on the west side.
University Square car park
- Access maintained to Berkeley Street entrance via Pelham Street.
- Access maintained to Bouverie Street entrance via Pelham and Grattan Streets.
Berkeley Street closure
- Berkeley Street closed at Grattan Street.
- Vehicle access maintained via Pelham Street.
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre car park
- Access maintained to Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre car park entrance via Flemington Road.
The Royal Melbourne Hospital and The Royal Women’s Hospital car parks
- Access maintained to car parks.
- The 401, 402, 403, 505 and 546 bus services have been re-routed around the Grattan Street work site.