Transport changes in Parkville
As construction of the new Parkville Station continues, there will be some changes to how you drive, cycle and walk around the precinct.
Traffic changes at Grattan Street west
Find out more about the traffic changes on Grattan Street west while we build the new station entrances adjacent to the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and The Royal Melbourne Hospital.
Long-term road and lane closures
- Grattan Street, between Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade and Leicester Street, is closed to vehicles
- Grattan Street, between Flemington Road and Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade, is closed to public vehicles. Vehicles accessing Grattan Street from Flemington Road for the drop-off/pick-up parking and taxi zone will be required to perform a U-turn and exit via Flemington Road
- Access to hospitals, hospital car park, and ambulances will be maintained at all times
- Barry Street, between Pelham and Grattan streets, is also closed to vehicles for up to five years
- Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade northbound service lane closed to vehicles from Haymarket Roundabout to just north of The Royal Melbourne Hospital, from March 2021 until late-2022
- Vehicles travelling northbound from Haymarket Roundabout are directed to the Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade northbound centre lane. Minor lane closures are in place on Haymarket Roundabout and Peel Street to assist with traffic flow for northbound traffic, from March 2021 until late 2022
- Grattan Street westbound lanes will be closed to vehicles, between Flemington Road and Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade, from February 2020 for three years
- Grattan Street eastbound is currently closed to public vehicles.
Pedestrians and cyclists
There will be changes to how pedestrians and cyclists travel in the area.
Grattan Street, between Flemington Road and Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade
Pedestrian access is maintained around the work site with localised diversions in place.
The northern east-west crossing at the Grattan Street and Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade intersection is closed to pedestrians until late 2022.
The western north-south pedestrian crossing at the Grattan Street and Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade intersection has been relocated around 70 metres west on Grattan Street.
There is a new bicycle route between Wreckyn and Pelham streets via the Flemington Road shared use path to provide a safe and convenient route while construction takes place on Grattan Street west. Cyclists travelling eastbound are advised to use this route.
Cyclists wanting to travel westbound on Grattan Street to Flemington Road are advised to use the Flemington Road shared use path, adjacent to the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, or to dismount and walk their bikes from Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade.
Cyclists travelling northbound along Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade from Haymarket Roundabout will be directed into a new bicycle path in the Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade northbound centre lane.
Grattan Street between Royal Parade/Elizabeth Street and Leicester Street
Pedestrian access is maintained using the covered pedestrian walkways on the north and south sides of Grattan Street. These walkways are for pedestrian access only. Cyclists are asked to walk their bicycles through these areas.
The entrance to the Medical Building on Grattan Street is available via the covered pedestrian walkway on the north side of Grattan Street. Access to the Alan Gilbert Building and the Doherty Institute is available via the covered pedestrian walkway on the south side of Grattan Street. All other entrances to the building remain unchanged.
The Barry Street pedestrian crossing has been relocated around 50 metres south.
Public transport network
Trams will continue to run along Royal Parade and tram stop locations will remain the same.
From March 2021 to end 2022, pedestrian access to the Route 19 Royal Melbourne Hospital/Royal Pde stop number 10 will be maintained with localised pedestrian diversions in place.
From March 2021 to late 2022, the bus route 505 will not service The Royal Melbourne Hospital/Royal Parade stop. Passengers are advised to use the alternative bus stop at Morrah Street/Royal Parade located 250 metres north on Royal Parade.
Bus routes 401, 402 and 403 are currently not servicing the Royal Melbourne Hospital/Grattan Street stop. Passengers are advised to use the alternative bus stop on Wreckyn Street.
Information about the changed bus routes and current timetables are available on the Public Transport Victoria website.