Changes to Grattan Street
Works in preparation for the new Parkville Station are underway with major transport changes implemented on 22 February.
The next phase of construction for Parkville Station involves setting up the site in preparation for piling and excavation of the station box.
We encourage motorists, pedestrians and cyclists to take care when travelling around the area. Traffic controllers are out and about to assist pedestrians and cyclists as well as signage placed at various locations directing vehicles.
Please follow these instructions to ensure everyone’s safety. We will continue to monitor traffic flow and safety and make changes accordingly.
What we are doing
On 22 February 2018, Grattan Street (between Royal Parade and Leicester Street) and Barry Street (between Pelham Street and Grattan Street) closed to vehicles for up to five years.
There will also be no vehicle access from Grattan Street into Berkeley Street, although Berkeley Street will remain open at Pelham Street.
For more information, see the Parkville April-May 2018 update (PDF, 9.1 MB).
1 City Ford site
- Equipment laydown area, truck parking and site sheds.
2 Grattan Street east of Royal Parade
- Grattan Street closed east of Royal Parade for vehicles.
3 New Grattan Street crossing point
- Pedestrian crossing on Grattan Street.
4 Gate 10 - University of Melbourne
- Emergency and essential delivery vehicle access only.
- Pedestrian and cyclist access maintained.
5 Barry Street closure
- Closed to vehicles between Pelham and Grattan streets from 22 February 2018.
- Access for pedestrians only on the west side.
6 University Square car park
- Access maintained to Berkeley Street entrance via Pelham Street.
- Access maintained to Bouverie Street entrance via Pelham and Grattan Streets.
7 Berkeley Street closure
- Berkeley Street closed at Grattan Street from 22 February 2018.
- Vehicle access maintained via Pelham Street.
8 Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre car park
- Access maintained to Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre car park entrance via Flemington Road.
9 Royal Melbourne Hospital and Royal Women’s Hospital car parks
- Access maintained to car parks.
Bus stop works - 4 April to late April 2018 (day works)
- Pedestrian diversion around works
- Access maintained
Installation of gantry walkways
From 23 April until mid-May, the installation of covered pedestrian (gantry) walkways will commence in the following locations during the work hours of 7am to 6pm, weekdays and 7am to 1pm, Saturdays.
23 April - 2 May
- Grattan Street southern footpath outside the Alan Gilbert Building
23 April - mid-May
- Grattan Street northern footpath outside the University of Melbourne Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences (MDHS) building; a new pedestrian pathway will be constructed in front of the MDHS building.
3 May - 11 May
- Grattan Street southern footpath outside the Peter Doherty Institute.
Pedestrians and cyclists
- Access for pedestrians and cyclists will be maintained around the work site. At times, localised diversions will be in place.
- Pedestrians and cyclists are urged to follow signage to ensure their safety.
- Pedestrians will be diverted through University Square Plaza once pram ramps are completed across Barry and Grattan streets.
- Following the installation of the gantry walkway on Grattan Street southside the centre pedestrian crossing across Grattan Street will be removed.
- On Grattan Street southside, cyclists will be required to dismount and walk their bike through the area.
- The existing shared use path on Grattan Street northside will remain open for pedestrians and cyclists until the completion of the gantry walkway and new footpath outside the MDHS building.
- The new gantry walkway on Grattan Street northside will be for pedestrian access only; there will be no access for cyclists.
- Please refer to the maps over the page for pedestrian and cyclist access routes.
Before excavation can commence, we need to install a series of piles along Grattan Street (between Royal Parade and Leicester Street) to support the structure and enable workers to safely carry out excavation underground.
These works will take place from late April until late September 2018 during the work hours of 7am to 6pm, weekdays and 7am to 1pm, Saturdays.
- Due to the size of piling rigs and cranes, deliveries will be 4am to 6am from Monday 23 April to Thursday 31 May.
- These works will involve the use of piling rigs, excavators, cranes, trucks, excavators with rock hammers, concrete agitators, jackhammers and a hydraulic CFA cropper.
- Expected to generate high levels of noise and some vibration.
- Piling rigs will require approximately five truck movements per hour.
- Trucks will enter the site via Flemington Road, around Haymarket roundabout and along Pelham Street to either Barry or Berkeley streets.
- Trucks will exit the site via Barry or Berkeley streets onto Pelham Street, Leicester Street, Queensberry Street, Peel Street and along Flemington Road.
- A truck waiting bay will be located in Barry Street and trucks called onto site when required.
- All trucks will be fitted with broadband beepers and their loads covered when leaving site.
Public transport network changes
Trams will continue to run along Royal Parade. However, there will need to be some temporary changes to the public transport network during construction.
Any changes to tram services will be communicated in advance.
From 18 February 2018, the 401, 402, 403, 505 and 546 bus services were re-routed around the Grattan Street work site. Information about the new bus routes and new timetables is available on Public Transport Victoria’s website.
Access around the University of Melbourne main campus
From 22 February 2018, Gate 10 closed to vehicles except for emergency vehicles and essential deliveries.
Pedestrian access will be maintained through Gate 10. However, pedestrian access routes to Gate 10 will change and alternative temporary access routes will be communicated in advance of these changes occurring.
Car parking during construction
All public off-street car parks in the precinct will remain accessible during construction. On-street car parking capacity has been reduced in the area.
Access to University Square Car Park maintains via Berkeley and Bouverie streets.
Parking spaces will be removed on Grattan and Barry streets while these roads are closed for construction.
Other site establishment activities
Other activities to establish the site for piling and excavation of the station box include:
- Installation of pedestrian ramps in Barry and Berkeley streets to assist with pedestrian access
- Removal of bluestone pavers along Grattan Street
- Installation of worksite drainage
- Non-destructive drilling to locate services and soil sampling along Grattan Street, within the work site
- Removal of street furniture and above ground assets
- Ongoing installation of site facilities in Barry Street
- Continuing installation of an electrical kiosk substation to supply power to the site during construction
- Completing installation of groundwater monitoring wells in Royal Parade, Pelham Street and Lincoln Square North
- Tree removal to prepare the site for construction. Trees will be removed from within the site boundary. Fauna inspections have been undertaken and a qualified and experienced fauna handler will be on site for all tree removals.
- Preparation of a hardstand for piling rigs which involves excavators to place crushed rock and rollers to compact the ground.
We are investigating a number of measures to minimise noise, particularly where works are near sensitive locations. These measures include individual stakeholder briefings, staging the timing of works around key sensitive receptors where possible, providing localised noise shielding, and using equipment with the lowest sound power levels as far as practicable.
Hours of work
All works will occur during normal working hours:
- 7am - 6pm, Monday to Friday and 7am - 1pm, Saturdays
- No work on Sundays or public holidays.