Through our delivery of Major Projects, we're committed to connecting communities in the healthiest, most sustainable way possible.
We'll help to ensure a lasting legacy for present and future generations for a more liveable Victoria - environmentally, socially and economically.
Rail Projects Victoria is committed to:
- Optimising the Projects' design to ensure it is delivered to operate sustainably.
- Managing resources efficiently through embedding energy, water and material saving initiatives into the design, construction and operation of the projects.
- Avoiding, minimising and offsetting harm to the environment and the loss of biodiversity.
- Protecting and conserving the natural environment.
- Preparing for the challenges presented by climate change.
To give effect to this Policy, our people will:
- Demonstrate leadership in the commitment to a prosperous and integrated economic, social and environmental sustainable future.
- Demonstrate commitment to sustainable procurement.
- Protect and maintain vegetation, the functioning of ecosystems and biological diversity.
- Facilitate economic prosperity and development and provide a resilient local workforce.
- Support and enhance social, cultural and community wellbeing.
- Encourage the pioneering of innovation in sustainable design, process or advocacy that seeks continuous improvement to promote new ideas and thinking.
- Embed environmental and sustainability outcomes by establishing robust sustainability objectives and targets. and
- Report on sustainability performance and be accountable for meeting environmental and social responsibilities.
The sustainability vision for the Metro Tunnel is underpinned by a series of environmental, social and economic commitments. We believe that working to create a balance between these three core commitments is vital for maintaining Melbourne’s liveability and for delivering a project with a lasting positive legacy.
An integrated sustainability approach will generate multiple benefits. These include:
- Better building and infrastructure performance.
- Economic growth and ecologically sustainable development.
- Better operational efficiency and maintenance requirements.
- Whole-of-life cost and Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emission savings.
- Safe and healthy environments for commuters.
For more information, download the Metro Tunnel Sustainability Strategy (PDF, 6.7 MB).