The Suburban Rail Loop is a new rail link connecting Melbourne’s middle suburbs.
Suburban Rail Loop is a new underground rail link connecting Melbourne's middle suburbs. It will include new stations and connect major railway lines from the Frankston line to the Werribee line via Melbourne Airport.
Suburban Rail Loop will connect Melbourne’s middle suburbs to priority growth precincts, and link all Victorians to major health, education and employment centres.
Melbourne is Australia’s fastest growing city, and a powerhouse of its economy with strong population, economic and jobs growth. In the coming years, our transport system will face pressure as we continue to grow.
Rail loop benefits
Improving travel around Melbourne
Suburban Rail Loop will revolutionise the way people move around Melbourne, easing demand on existing lines and shifting more Melburnians out of their cars.
Creating jobs, growing our economy
More than 20,000 jobs are forecast to be created as a result of the project during construction. Victoria’s economy will receive a boost due to investment in growth precincts as well as travel time savings across Melbourne.
Connecting our growth centres
Suburban Rail Loop corridor will connect key precincts in Melbourne’s middle suburbs that have been identified as places for population and jobs growth, as well as centres for health, education and innovation.
Connecting regional Victoria
Three new super hubs at Clayton, Broadmeadows and Sunshine will connect regional passengers into Suburban Rail Loop, providing all Victorians with better access to economic opportunities as well as world-class education and health services.
A Strategic Assessment (PDF, 5.0 MB) supporting the development of Suburban Rail Loop was released in 2018.
Three potential corridors were considered for the project, reflecting the places of state significance set out in Plan Melbourne.
The Strategic Assessment identified potential next steps, which would require further funding:
- Development of a full business case
- Detailed technical and planning work to develop the project scope and assess the economic, social and environmental impacts of the project
- Market engagement with industry to inform the business case development, and
- An extensive stakeholder consultation process.
Rail Projects Victoria is seeking registrations of interest to develop an understanding of organisations with the requisite experience and capability to assist in the delivery of Suburban Rail Loop.
These organisations may include:
- designers, engineers, constructors, rail systems providers, rolling stock providers or other rail infrastructure providers
- sponsors, investors or financiers
- major property developers
- rail operators
Organisations that are interested need to download the registration documents (DOCX, 534.2 KB) and follow the instructions included.
All registrations of interest are to be lodged at email@example.com. In order to be considered for future market interactions, respondents are encouraged to submit their responses by 30 August 2019.
- 23 July 2019 - Suburban Rail Loop site investigations start
- 13 June 2019 - Suburban Rail Loop goes to market for registrations of interest
- 16 May 2019 - Work gets underway on the Suburban Rail Loop
Stay updated about the progress of Suburban Rail Loop by registering for future email updates.